Monday, September 14, 2009

The Pledge of Allegiance

What a fantastic morning!
Layla's school is celebrating the National Anthem today. All the students and teachers are dressed in red, white, & blue. They had a little program prepared this morning- some of the older students sang "God Bless the USA" and "America the Beautiful". They had state representatives come speak about the Francis Scott Key and what the colors of the flag represent, and... they pulled Layla to the front of the gym in front of the whole school and surprised her with this:



(I've watched it about 87 times now and my favorite part is still when he turns to smile at the camera at the very end =)

It was the coolest thing! Nathan made the video originally b/c Layla told him she was learning the Pledge of Allegiance and they say it every day before school, and he told her that he says the Pledge with his unit every night before shift too. So he made this thinking Ms.Venable could show it to Layla's class, but when I told her- she ran it by the principle and they agreed that it was perfect to show for today. We had a time pulling it off and we barely did. We were both SO flustered up until the very last minute, but it was sooo worth it! Afterward, Ms.Venable asked Layla what she thought and she said right into the mic in front of her whole school, "That was great and it is very, very special." PRECIOUS!! I think we were all crying...


With State Representatives Deborah Maggart and Diane Black:


They are also writing an article about it for the Star News.

6 comments:

Beth said...

That is so special and something she will always remember.

Unknown said...

I'm so glad you finally got it to work! It was wonderful!

Beth said...

I LOVE that picture of her!

Anonymous said...

oh my, I have tears in my eyes! I thank God for the men and women like Nathan. I am so proud of him and you! She will always remember this!

Brea said...

Well, I just cried my eyes out watching that. So special for everyone. I can't imagine how much you guys miss him and how much he misses you!

RussellFamily said...

Wow...I too am in tears!! What a special moment for everyone!! I am so proud of your hubby and all of the other men and women that serve our country!!!!