Saturday, September 5, 2009

Paper Doll Project

This was our first school project! I doubt our/my excitement for school projects lasts very long, but this was fun and it felt like this whole new chapter in my life to be working on school projects with my kids... I think I like it for now :)

I did, however, figure out real quick that me and "mini-me" working on something like this together is a challenge in and of itself! LOL. Actually, it was quite comical and I kept getting tickled hearing myself come out of her mouth. "Does that look like a shoe to you?!". Oh... and she actually SAID the words "Mommy, if you stick your tongue out you can work better." Any of you that know me, know why that's hilarious. Nathan needs to come home QUICK so he can stop her metamorphosis into me. This can't happen.

Anyway.... her project was to create a giant paper doll of herself doing something she was interested in. She was given the template for the paper doll and we had to dress her, give her hair, etc. and turn her into a soccer player, a ballerina, or whatever Layla liked. Of course, Layla likes both of those things, but since those were the examples given- we were going to have to come up with something else :) I threw out a few ideas, but L actually came up with an idea on her own that I thought was brilliant and easy to pull off... or I thought it was going to be easy to pull off. Either way, it was really fun to shop for everything we needed, and even more fun to spend the night together working on it between dinner and cookies. We cut and measured and glued and glittered. In the end, she was SO SO proud of the work she had done (and she did a LOT of work on her little doll!!).

So this is Layla the Paper Doll, as Dorothy from "The Wizard of the Vols" (as she still says it... habit now I think), her MIDDLE favorite movie ever, lol. I have no idea what her first favorite movie is, she just keeps saying this is her middle favorite movie.



I think it turned out pretty cute. She LOVED it and couldn't wait to take it in. It was a little harder than I thought it was going to be.... darn hair! And that dress was troublesome (you can't tell from the pic, but it's real gingham fabric, two separate pieces). But Layla worked her booty off trying to get it just the way she wanted and she was beyond pleased (Toto is her favorite part) :)

No comments: