Saturday, February 14, 2009

Two Toddler Tornadoes- help wanted!

So we woke up to find both "babies" had climbed out of their cribs. How they both figured it out at the same time- who knows. They immediately started knocking on their door (which was closed) and trying to turn the knob (which I heard). Ok... so maybe it's time to talk about moving to big girl/boy beds. No big deal.

Wellll... After breakfast, they both asked to go back to bed. We had a late night, so that made sense. Put them in their cribs, didn't hear a peep. 20 mins. later, Brynnie opens the door (how?!) and walks out with Cale Benjamin right behind her. Not only had they both climbed out again, they had: taken their clothes off and put other clothes on, taken their diapers off- she put on a swim diaper, he put on one of her pull-ups; they had opened a new pack of diapers and spread all 72 out in the floor; dumped their basket of hair oils/lotions/etc. off the changing table; dumped out the sock drawer, bib basket, and clothes hamper; pulled all their shoes off the shelves; filled their cribs with toys; etc etc etc etc etc etc etc. Their entire room was an absolute DISASTER in a matter of minutes.

So... NOW WHAT?!? We can convert their cribs to toddler beds, but I guarantee you they will destroy their room every single time we leave them in there. Some of the stuff that is within their reach, we can move to somewhere else, but there is no way to put it ALL up and it would be a total pain in the rear to not have the stuff we use every day accessible.

We talked about moving them into LP's room (her bottom bunk is a queen sized bed) and letting them sleep down there together. There is not much else in her room we'd have to worry about them destroying or any other safety issues, the problem with that option is that almost every single day, Layla wakes up when Nathan leaves for work at 3:30am and she comes to get in the bed with me and she would probably wake them up, which means all three kids would be up every morning at 3:30.

Which is the lesser of two evils? I feel like having to clean the same mess in their room every single day would drive me insane. But all three of them being awake before dawn every day doesn't sound any more appealing!

So- anyone have any suggestions?? We want/need to make the changes today 1) because it's not safe for them to climb out of their cribs and 2) so we have tomorrow to make any necessary adjustments. PLEASE OFFER ADVICE, lol!!

We didn't go thru this with Layla. She moved to a twin bed flawlessly and woke us up in the morning. No disasters. No risky business.

HELP!!!

5 comments:

Cayce said...

Jacob started climbing out at 18 months so we converted him to a toddler bed early. I thought there was no way he would ever sleep but after only a couple nights of playing for 30 min to an hour in his room, he would go to sleep very easily. We used a child proof door knob thing so he couldn't get out at night since he was so little
(actually, we are trying to break from using that now). For him, the freedom he got from being able to get out of bed if he wanted to did wonders for his night-time routine. He went from screaming bloody murder in a crib to sleeping all night. I would remove as much as possible or at least put it out of sight in a toy chest or bins so it's not begging to be played with. Good luck!

Anonymous said...

huuuummmmm...it's been so long, but it still feels like yesterday when all three of mine were tiny....can you keep all of the toiletries and diapers and things in one central location out of their rooms (bathroom...your room...downstairs bath??) and only keep a few toys out at a time...rotate them out every month or so...I know Ba has lots of storage room...don't tell her I said that....Amber, I know you are frustrated...but just look at it this way....they are not heading out of the driveway to only God knows where...enjoy them as I know you do...those years were the best of my life...headaches and all!
Donna

Anonymous said...

I can not stop laughing!!!! I hope that you get it all figured out and don't end up getting up with all 3 kids at 3:30 am every morning! Good luck--I have actually heard of people turning the door knobs the other way and locking their kids in their rooms. With all of the fire fighters in your family you may get yelled out for doing that!

. said...

Can I just say THANK YOU for posting this! I've had one of those days where everything has been wrong and I soo needed to laugh! I hate that it's at your expense, but I needed to laugh! THIS IS FUNNY STUFF! I have no advice but perhaps you'll get some great advice so when Sutton is in this stage I can call you to see what you did! =) Good luck!!! MUAH

Amber Lee said...

Well at least we can all laugh about it!
I was CRACKING UP when they came out of their room, that in and of itself would have made me laugh, but the fact that they were wearing different clothes/diapers was hilarious. Nath was trying SO hard to keep a strait face while telling them not to climb out anymore, but we just couldn't do it!

Thanks for the suggestions girlies!