Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Ashes, ashes, we ALL fall down.

It's Ash Wednesday, beginning of the Lent season.

"Immediately the Holy Spirit compelled Jesus to go into the wilderness. He was there for forty days, being tempted by Satan. He was out among the wild animals, and angels took care of Him."
Mark 1: 12-13
But explained in more detail in Matthew 4:1-11 and Luke 4:1-13

Temptation is bad for us only when we give in. We shouldn't resent times of inner testing, because throuhg them God can strengthen our character and teach us valuable lessons. When you face Satan and must deal with his temptations and the turmoil he brings, remember that Jesus used God's Word against Satan and won. Your convictions are only strong if they hold up under pressure. When temptations seem especially strong, or when you think you can rationalize giving in, consider whether Satan may be trying to block God's purposes for you life (or someone else's life).

... I didn't write all of that. Bits and pieces were in the footnotes of one of my favorite Bibles (I have about 16!). Just thought I'd share!

Obviously, we are all tested on a regular basis, usually when we are most vulnerable and already weakened or when we are just coming off of a spiritual high and Satan wants to knock us back down. I have experienced both recently and know for sure that the things I have chosen to sacrifice for the next 40 days are going to challenge me! It's amazing what silly little things we allow to become between us and our relationship with God and that we need a date on a calendar to remind us to remove that from our life for a specific number of days in order to re-focus. Whatever works I guess!

On a lighter note...
HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DEDA!!

Re-using this picture we made for you three(!) years ago because I still love it =)

No comments: