Thursday, February 5, 2009

Are you the babysitter?

Yep... I got my first one. At Walmart of course, where else? Before the babies came home, several other adoptive families warned us that 75% of the moronic questions/comments would occur at Walmart. Right now, I think we are actually averaging 100%. Not that we've had a lot, because we haven't, most have been genuine, innocent, and appropriately worded. When I am by myself, I can see/feel people watching us, trying to figure out if they're mine, did I carry them, do they have 2 (or 3) different daddies, did I adopt them, what? And if they do speak, it's usually a simple "Are they all yours?". Which is basically what this lady was asking, just with a different set of words. She recovered nicely by telling me how beautiful they all were and that they were all very well-behaved and well-mannered (which they were yesterday, but you know... it's hit or miss with 2 yr olds and the Drama Queen of the World).

Apparently we are much more approachable when Nath and I are together. I suppose at that point, it's more obvious that Yes, we are their parents and Yes, we did adopt. People stop us constantly to comment on our family or ask questions. Especially, because we have twins.

A lot of people get upset about these sort of things. I'm not offended at all. I am surpised- 1) that it actually took two whole years to be asked this particular question and 2) because it seems so much more common for families to be a blend of colors, I'm surprised people are still so curious about it. Either way, it just didn't bother me... unlike that one lady who pointed at Cale and said "Is he yours?". "Yes". Then she gave me this smug look and said "Are you sure?" with all kinds of attitude, CLEARLY probing as if I owed her some kind of explanation of why my son's skin was so much darker than mine! Of course, instead of knocking that smug look right of her face, I simply gritted my teeth and replied, "Yes". She then proceeded to tell me everything I was doing wrong as a parent in the 30 secs she had been standing there ("A 2 or 3 yr old should NOT have a paci, you are ruining his teeth!" Um... he's 14 months, thanks. "I see a dry patch on his knee, you don't know how to take care of his skin". I do. It's dry. I have a dry patch on my elbow, wanna check that out too? Etc. Etc. Etc. Until I finally just walked away without saying a word). THAT I was upset about.

1 comment:

. said...

Do you run a daycare service? If so can I please drop my child off one day?? =] Today we had lunch with my mom, and our server looking at my hair then looking at Sutton's said "Who in the family has black curly hair". Without skipping a beat I said "His father". "Oh, okay". Eh, people are nosy by nature, they can't help it!