Wednesday, October 28, 2009

punkins' carving pumpkins

The original plan was to go to the pumpkin patch as we always do, bring home three big pumpkins and have a jolly old time. Time... I fear, got away from us being limited to weekends this year, and we never made it to the pumpkin patch after all (so sad). Then the plan became to choose a day (this was last week, btw) and go to one of the local sellers, pick out one BIG pumpkin and make a night of carving it up. Well... that didn't work out so great either. We were going to go right after school that day, but we had to come home for some reason I can't remember and then none of us felt like getting back out, I got a headache and blah blah blah- no giant pumpkin to carve. So... my brilliant idea was to hack into the teeny tiny pumpkins the kids brought home from Ava's party. That way, they would each have their own pumpkin to work on and it would be loads of fun :)

Turns out, carving teeny tiny pumpkins is actually really difficult. Especially without teeny tiny tools to carve them with. I was just using an old school knife like we used back in the day, no fancy pumpkin-carving tools like they sell these days. Also- Cale and Layla, not so fond of pumpkin guts. Brynn, however scoops like a PRO. I asked each one of them how they wanted the face of their pumpkin to look and while I carved one, she would scoop the next! She was awesome :)



Layla knew immediately that she wanted a scary face. Cale wanted a happy! face. Typical. Brynn wanted a bear. Yes, a bear. I tried and tried to talk her into something a little more... fundamental (teeny tiny pumpkins I'm working with, remember?). But nope, had to be a bear.




They were so excited with the final results and went CRAZY when we lit them up on the front porch! I absolutely have them loving Halloween as much as I do!!!

No comments: