Sunday, August 17, 2014

R & R today, Roman tomorrow!

I didn't even realize how grouchy I sounded on yesterday's blog. MUH BAD. I was plum wore out. Fell asleep in the enormous bathtub.

We pigged out on our room service last night... and have an entire unopened entree left in the fridge.  I have a feeling I'll be on a rice/noodle diet while here, though my guide has been super sweet about pointing out vegetarian options (rice/noodles, of course).



We went down for the "western" breakfast buffet this morning. At first glance, for Cale, it was sort of overwhelmingly not western.  After a second look, he decided there were some things he would try, especially since I okay-ed the little cakes. It's about survival, people.


"Different" sausage and bacon, watermelon, a little bun he didn't eat, and three bits of cakes. Complete with a granola bar from the room. We spotted cereal on our way out, so he's already more excited about tomorrow's breakfast (we don't keep cereal at home... because we love it, ha)


I was happy with my little variety!


Toast & jelly, watermelon, "different" yogurt, and what was listed as fried asparagus and chili sauce, but was not. Bamboo shoots maybe?


After breakfast, we got to Skype with all three girls and their attending adults! They are so beautiful and so good for the soul!  Except when my little Annie girl started crying for her mama, reaching for the camera asking me to hold her. Right-in-the-gut.

At 11am, we met our local guide, Belinda, to walk around and chat. We walked all over South Lake Park right behind our hotel. It is stunningly beautiful here. Every corner looks like a post card.


phone pic from our window


Nanning is known as "The Green City" because high temps and lots of rain make everything so lush and tropical! We learned lots of little tidbits about the city, but mostly just chatted and compared notes on life! She really gets a kick out of Cale and his energy and was excited to tell us (like pretty much everyone has mentioned) that ZhengNing is a very active boy and will fit just right in our family!

(Some of these taken by Cale and I'm obviously not editing in-country...)












We got back around to the hotel, just as the rain started and spent the afternoon back in our room relaxing, ultimately both falling asleep about the same time. We had a bit of a dinner adventure tonight- a rather comical one, I'm sure. We waltzed into a traditional Chinese restaurant and clearly had no idea what we were doing while they placed all the little dishes and things that we didn't know what to do with - the staff was both annoyed and delighted by our attempts. We tried our darnedest-staying reserved, we barely spoke a word to one another. We paid for our meal and got about ten feet away from the door when I said, "Well, that was embarrassing."
Cale said, "You were embarrassing. That was the worst acting job I've ever seen."
And then we both got so tickled we couldn't get back up the stairs.

Now we are both snuggling in my bed, after coming back to prepare everything we need for TOMORROW.

It still doesn't seem real to me! I made that comment earlier and Cale's eyebrows went straight up to the sky quizzically (if you know him, you know this look well) . Momma, we're in China. It's real. 
My little literal boy.


This boy is about to meet his brother.

I promise to apply ice and dig out my mascara to make myself presentable for our family's big day.



We leave for the bank at 1:30pm to exchange the money needed at our appointment- orphanage donation, passport fee, notary fee, etc. We meet Roman at 3:00PM local time, 2:00AM at home. ENTER SQUEAL-Y EXCITED FACE. There will be a little paperwork to do and other business, but we should all three be back at the hotel and able to update about the time you all are starting your Monday! Prayers for a smooth transition appreciated!

There is another family from my Thalassemia group arriving at the hotel tonight and also meeting their son tomorrow as well. Belinda says we will be the only two families there.

SO SURREAL.

I feel different than I think I should?! Or different than I expected? I'm not sure.
I'm a little nervous, but not anxious like I thought I would be (yet). I'm beyond excited, but at the same time, it already feels so ... right(?) that extreme emotion seems unnecessary.  Like: duh, he's your kid- just go pick him up already, no need for the dramatics. It just feels so NORMAL, ha. Maybe my brain can't quite grasp how huge it is or maybe my brain knows how huge it is and is protecting me so I don't freak out. Getting here was a little tough just because of the level of exhaustion, but I'm weirdly comfortable being here- in China- and it's confusing me! ha. I just don't quite know. I'm just happy. Peaceful. I feel peaceful.

See you tomorrow, Roman Jude Zheng. Your momma and brother are here to take you home.

1 comment:

Molly said...

EEEEEEEEE! That's really the only noise I can make until you meet him.... eeeeeeeeeee!