Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Busy Little Worker Bees.

My car is not clean.
It's all I can do to keep my house clean (and for a few weeks there, I didn't. At all.), but we are on the go SO much, that I really have a hard time keeping my car clean. Okay... I don't really try. I am most certainly annoyed by all the stuff that seems to accumulate- I hate clutter!- but just haven't managed to do anything about it for quite some time.

I do get embarrassed when Layla gets out at school and a hat, plus yesterday's Sunday School craft, jump right out with her. Or when I move the kids' carseats and a few random raisins, broken crayons, and a strawberry shortcake figurine free themselves from their cushiony jail. It's not all the kids' fault. There are seven pair of sunglasses in my car. Seven. Three of those belong to the children, two are scratched or broken and I haven't thrown them away yet, and the other two... well, everyone needs two. Otherwise, what would I wear when I can't find the other ones?

But Monday, Brynn wrote on the seat. Ink pen meets leather. Is it sad that my first reaction was, "Oh, look- you made a T, and O, and a R!"?  My second reaction was more related to handing her a paper towel and cleaner. That evolved into Cale ridding the car of EVERY SINGLE toy, Brynn any trash, and Layla all the stuff. And THAT evolved into washing windows and dashboards and seats and taking turns vacuuming.



And THAT evolved into changing the sheets on their beds, cleaning their bathrooms, dusting the furniture, sweeping and vacuuming, putting away laundry, and cleaning up dinner (they love that one). I think they actually had fun. Really.



Of course, they took a snack break and a lunch break... and a play outside break (or two). But for the most part, these kids WORKED from 10am-6pm.

And OF COURSE, we made homemade ice cream sandwiches (yummm) after dinner to reward them for their hard work. We ate those way too fast to get a picture.

They enjoy cleaning (for now) and I want them to learn to be responsible. It's good for everyone to do their part around the house, so they won't always be rewarded- but these kids stepped UP and worked very hard! Above and beyond what I would typically expect of a 7yr old and two 4yr olds. Was it perfect? Absolutely not, but they learned a lot and we had a fun day together :)

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Amber - hey girl! I know you don't "know" me, but I was wondering if it was okay for me to put your button on my blog on November 11 in honor of National Adoption Month? We're doing the daily activities all month long and Day 11 asks us to pick a country and think about international adoption and how we can help. I immediately thought of you and your sweet Anna Grace and though I would ask to see if you minded me sharing some of your story and your button on that day. I would rather give to your sweet family and have something specific to pray over, than to just donate randomly! Feel free to contact me at my blog or sarahburch80 at gmail dot com.