Update from Nathan...
He's been in the Texas/New Mexico desert for a few days now. He texts me every morning and every night. Occasionally, I get a random mid-day text if they are on a break and he's actually called twice really late at night. They are supposed to get a phone call in the middle of the day today so that he can call and talk to the kids!
As usual, he has no complaints so far. I think the temp was around 104 the day they arrived (but no humidity so it felt about the same as it does here, he said). But it's been raining for two days since, which apparently only happens about five times a year. Kind of hilarious to go to Desert Defender School to prepare for desert life and be stuck in the pouring down rain. He's still getting used to walking around with all his gear on and carrying those weapons 24/7.
The first six days are only classroom work; "death by powerpoint" he says. He is excited that their unit was assigned to stay together when they go overseas and their fire team will also remain together- he was nervous about that. They were also paired with 2 units from Wisconsin. He's run into several guys that he had gone thru Tech School with, so that's cool. He says he's sleeping well in the barracks and getting used to the Islamic prayer they play at night.
The kids and I been SUPER busy the last few days- photo shoot, birthday parties, church, baby shower, LOTS of errands, etc. I like keeping busy, but it always takes me a few days to adjust to doing things without him. We've had fun though- only a few teary moments (both their's and mine!). I realize he will be back in a couple of weeks, it's just knowing that's he's going to turn around and leave again, I think.
So that's that for now... Come on July 12!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment