Friday, February 20, 2015

Six months a West.

Hard to believe Roman has been a West for a whole six months.
Also, hard to believe Roman has only been a West for six months.



Our social worker came last week for our six month post placement report and said it sounded more like a one year visit. He's so... us.

We laughed out loud when she asked how many words he has in English now... comical, because remember I wrote about the talking? I've never seen anything like it. Though he is bashful around new people, the rest of the time he's chatting.

We were riding down the road a couple of months back when he suddenly said, "WAIT. Am I speaking English?! Holy cow!"

He really is the sweetest and just a fun kid. Absolutely. We just have to distract him sometimes so we can complete other thoughts and sentences!

He is still stuck to me like glue.




He definitely has gotten more independent and getting closer to seven developmentally- I think being in school has helped that- but he is MAMA'S BOY through and through. He still sits with his hand inside my shirt to feel my heart as much as I will let him (Obviously, I don't NOT let him- but them dishes ain't gonna wash themselves.) If I'm not holding him, he wants to do what I'm doing. Making dinner, folding clothes, running errands, scrubbing bathrooms {or something way cooler}, it doesn't matter. If I'm doing it, he wants to do it with me. He definitely idolizes Nathan. He constantly says he's going to be like Daddy and soaks up some one-on-one from him, preferably spent building Legos.




He is doing really well in school. His work is still modified while he's catching up but he is catching up- quickly.



He only writes the beginning sounds, but I'm sure the rest of the word will follow shortly. He's obsessed with how to spell things now and has mastered everyone's name in the house. And he has started READING! They are short, beginner books with lots of repetition but doggone it, he can read them! So impressed by him.

He's a very busy little bee and nothing holds his attention for long.  He still doesn't quite know how to entertain himself. He will happily play anything with anybody, but it doesn't really occur to him to play things on his own.  He is *slightly* naughty about taking other people's ideas/things though- ha.



He and Brynn are the Bobbsey Twins of the house.  Almost always together. When her ADHD is controlled, she is the most kind-hearted human and dotes on him left and right. When it is not so controlled, and she is quite literally bouncing off the walls, he thinks she is hysterical.  Cale is throws himself into the mix about 50% of the time. Sometimes three's company and sometimes threes a crowd- just depends on the collective moods of these so-called triplets!  Roman adores Anna Gray and is very big brotherly with her. And Layla still mothers him sweetly, reading to him or snuggling on the couch.





Roman's other loves are Ninja Turtles, anything superhero, playing the Wii, riding his scooter, being read to, drawing, putting on makeup, playdoh, kitchen dance parties, and jumping on the trampoline. Unfortunately, he can't jump right now because he recently had a hernia repaired.

He also got his port!




We've only accessed it once, but it was an easy transition and doesn't seem to bother him a bit.
He looks healthier, but he actually hasn't grown or gained any weight since coming home! I'm still surprised by that.  For the Thalassemia itself, he will be going to transfusions every four weeks now (woot!). His iron is still way way high. He takes one chelation medicine daily now, but we will likely be adding a second very soon to get that down.

As far as food, he will still eat just about anything- or at least try, though new items are taking a little more encouragement these days. He's even turned down a thing or two. That's good- that means he knows it's safe to say he doesn't like or want to eat something because he will get more to eat later. His favorites are pancakes, fried or hardboiled eggs, oatmeal, soups, quesadillas, spinach or kale salad, "little spiky chicken" or any chicken really, quinoa, and sweet potatoes.



He's obsessed with birthdays- mostly his own- especially since Daddy, Brynn, Cale, Mama, & Anna Gray have all had one recently. Layla is next and he has three whole months to go. Torturous. For all of us.

Overall, he is sort of fantastic. He is precious and silly and sneaky and loud and bright and curious and fast and handsome and little and snuggly and I love him.




 Six months later... happy and healthy. Family looks good on you, kid.



 And he says to tell you, "I love my mommy's heart and my family and then I love Walker (dog) and then my friends in first grade in America and...."
And then I had to go fix dinner :)

No comments: