Saturday, November 1, 2014

WEST FAMILY CIRCUS!

Halloween Recap: Not because any of you are that interested, I'm sure, but because some day I will print these into a book for my kids!

Halloween is my jam. It's our thing.
We've done several themes - every person has to agree, and then they choose their own costume within the theme. Then each gets one-on-one shopping time with me to make it happen. It's my personal challenge to see how creative I/we (because they have some killer ideas) can get on a budget. I averaged less than $10 per person this year- Woot.

After several family meetings, we chose a vintage circus. It's seemed appropable ;)

I thought each one chose the costume that fit their personality exactly!



LAYLA: RINGMASTER
The leader.

Before (sort of, I almost forgot):



Red jacket from Goodwill. Feathers, pearls, and hat from Michael's. Everything else we already had. 

After:


Prettiest ringmaster I ever saw. Clearly didn't get it from her mama. 



BRYNN: TRAPEZE ARTIST
The Performer.

No Before/After because after weighing several options, she wanted this and I just straight up bought it from Ebay. It's a dance costume, but it was just right. She did freeze, but only because she wouldn't stay covered- she wanted to show off her costume.


She was looking all serious and vintage-y. She is stunning.
Coupled with those long legs, I told her she looked like a Rockette already.




CALE: DAREDEVIL
The brave one.

Before (sort of. again.):


Black pants and shirt from Goodwill. Add some duct tape and glitter stars, a skateboard helmet, and Daddy's ballistic goggles. Voila.

After:
Apparently, this is his "I just shot out of a cannon and still look this cool" face. He's not the easiest to please, so I was thrilled that he was thrilled.


ROMAN: STRONG MAN
The strong one.


Pajama pants and Brynn's tank top, an $.88 cent mustache, bag of balloons, and a wrapping paper roll. DONE. He was not quite as confused as I expected him to be! I kind of translated "costume", but basically handed him some clothes, put a 'stache on his face, and taught him to say trick or treat. He just went with it!
He caught on quickly and had a blast! He's still not too sure about this cold weather though...


ANNA GRAY: CLOWN 
The happy one. 


Before: 



I wanted "vintage" clown, but it turns out pinafores are not that easy to get your hands on and I can't sew worth a lick. But... I did find a homemade Raggedy Anne costume that included a pinafore and pantaloons! I tea-stained them, Layla sewed on patches, and I used scrap fabric to top it off. 


After:
Doll baby. Who could be scared of this clown?! Not even me, or any other person born in the 80s and saw IT at too young an age. 


I didn't get a close up of Nathan in full costume (unfortunately), but he made his own hat from computer paper and the only thing I bought were the peanuts :)

The happy couple;


So, that's us! West Family Circus/Halloween 2014 complete. 
Good job, little humans. You are fun people and I like you.







1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So flipping cute! Love this and you all! Miss you!
-Kace