Cale reallyreallyreally wanted to play this year. We decided that wasn't the best choice just yet, for various reasons. We agreed to compromise with flag football, so he could learn the fundamentals, make sure he liked it, etc, but as it turned out- we were going to miss half of the six week season bringing Roman home. Sorry, bud.
Roman yells "Go Vols!" no matter what game he's watching. He talks about football non-stop and always asks if he can play when he's 8? 12? 30?
I bought them a cheapo ball and every day they go out and play catch and tackle each other on the trampoline like boys do.
So this week, with emotions at home being a little more "regular" and all, we inched out one by one to join the game. Finally, we had everyone but Layla involved. She likes books. Not football. But she read her book in the sunshine nearby and occasionally threw out a "Good job, Buddy!". She's the cheerleader, I guess. She just likes books. Not football.
1) It's tricky to actually play and man the camera at the same time. I'm gonna need a GoPro if these games continue.
2) I have the best arm on the field. (Nathan and I spent several college weekends on campus with him teaching me how to throw a spiral and then "coaching" my co-ed flag football team, even though he didn't even attend our school.) Cale's is looking pretty darn good for a 7yr old though.
3) There's nothing sweeter than two boys who waited their whole lives to play football with their brother, ACTUALLY playing football with their brother. Cale's dimples are on full display and Roman with that hysterical cackle. (Cackle, not tackle, because the boy doesn't have a chance of catching his "big" brother.)
4) The touchdown dances... Amazing. Nathan says it's like Deion Sanders on Broadway.
5) Anna Gray thinks she's one of the big boys, which tips the cuteness over the top instantly. And then Walker {pup} thinks he's one of 'em too.
{You can see Walker's chest and legs in between Brynn & Nathan.}
I also have video of Roman with the ball trying to decide who to throw it to. He spins around looking at all his options dramatically, with at least two voices begging for it and the other two repeating what his choices are. While turning in circles, he repeats each person's name (Daddy? Brynn? Cale? Annie?) then says, "I don't know! Maybe!" He looks right at the camera and mouths "Mommy" before I give him the okay and attempt to catch his wild little toss without stopping the video. Adorbs.
All was going well until Cale forgot not to tackle and tackled (boys will be boys...). While we were assisting Brynn off the field, Roman hiked the ball right into Anna Gray's face. hard. When she saw me put my hand over my mouth, waiting for her reaction, she said, "It's not funny.", then took the ball and waddled off.
Game over?
Still, while it lasted, it was THE CUTEST FOOTBALL GAME EVER.
No comments:
Post a Comment